St John Maddermarket

The earliest parts of the church date from the first half of the 14th century. They include, at the west end, the north and south doorways, the south porch and the lower parts of a northern porch tower and, at the east, the tracery of the main window. The nave in between was rebuilt during the mid-fifteenth century along with the present aisles. A new tower was constructed over the lane to the west which meant that the old porch tower could be shortened to make way for the addition of a clearstorey.

St Paul

The church of St Paul was built on open land on the north-eastern edge of the city in about 1120. It was part of a ‘hospital’ run by the cathedral priory to serve the poor and infirm and remained in their hands until after the Reformation. The round western tower was part of the original building and the foundations of the nave and chancel were probably part of the early ground plan. There was never a chancel arch, the width of the nave being continued through to the east end. A porch was later provided in front of the south door, and a north aisle was added in the fifteenth century. The window tracery of the nave and aisle also dates from this period. The church was restored in 1870, badly bombed in 1942 and later demolished.

Screen in St Paul's Church Norwich, J.S. Cotman. Courtesy of Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery/Norfolk Museums Service

Screen in St Paul’s Church Norwich, J.S. Cotman. Courtesy of Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery/Norfolk Museums Service

St Michael at Plea

The church as it stands is almost all of the 15th century with some restorations subsequently. The tower and chancel probably predate the nave (cf. Peter Hungate, Michael Coslany) and are on very different alignments. The nave, complete with its vandalised angel roof, seems to date from the mid-15th century. There are indications that both north and south transept arms were envisaged at the same time as the plinths are continuous. As built, the northern transept is deeper, perhaps because it housed the archdeacon’s court. The shallow southern arm compensates by adjoining a south chancel chapel which extends it to the east.